Sauteed Swiss Chard with Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard rinsed, stems and center ribs cut out and chopped together, leaves coarsely chopped separately
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- Melt butter and olive oil together in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chard stems and the white wine. Simmer until the stems begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chard leaves, and cook until wilted.
- Finally, stir in lemon juice and Parmesan cheese; season to taste with salt if needed.
Cubanelle Pepper Rice Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1/2 onion (we used yellow), chopped
- 2 large or 4 small cubanelle peppers or bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (we used Congaree & Penn’s white rice)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Melt the butter or heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cubanelle peppers and saute until tender, about five minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with butter, approximately one minute. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer about 25 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro, mix to combine and serve.
Asian Watermelon Radish Salad
- 1 medium watermelon radish about 2 inches in diameter, very thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced into round slices
- about 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion more or less to taste
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- about 10 Thai basil leaves thinly sliced or 4 regular basil leaves will work fine
- generous pinch of salt
- Place all of the vegetables into a mixing bowl.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing, stir well to combine the vinegar and honey, and and pour the dressing over the vegetables.
- Toss lightly to combine.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes and serve.