Rainbow Carrot & Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber , sliced thin
- 1 rainbow carrot , julienned
- 1 Tablespoon grape seed oil (or other clean tasting oil)
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar (use distilled white vinegar for gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 teaspoons local honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine the cucumbers and carrots in a bowl. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the grape seed oil, rice vinegar, sesame seed oil, sugar, and soy sauce. Taste for seasoning and adjust to individual preference.
Toss the cucumbers and carrots with the dressing. Fold in the sesame seeds. Chill for 20 minutes or up to overnight and then serve.
Hot & Sour Napa Cabbage
- 1 Napa cabbage
- 1½ tbsp black rice vinegar, see note 1
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce, optional
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch, or cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 dried chilies, cut in sections, or to taste
- 1 stalk scallions, finely chopped
- Separate the leaves of the Napa cabbage. Lay one leaf flat on the chopping board. Cut it into bite-sized pieces at a 30-degree angle. Repeat to finish the rest.
- In a small bowl, mix black rice vinegar, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, starch, salt, sugar and water. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok over high heat until it starts to smoke. Pour in oil then add garlic and dried chilies. Fry until fragrant (do not burn).
- Put in the cabbage. Stir fry until the green leafy part starts to wilt but the white part remains crunchy.
- Give the sauce a good stir then pour into the wok. Add scallions. Mix well. Remove from the heat once the sauce thickens. Serve immediately.
Roasted Broccoli & Yellow Squash
- 2 heads of broccoli, trimmed
- 2 yellow squash, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped roughly (big pieces)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Mix vegetables in large bowl and coat with olive oil. Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Lay on cookie sheet with parchment (or use a baking stone). Roast 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring and turning occasionally.
- Pour in serving dish. Drizzle with a little more olive oil. Add cheese and juice from ½ lemon. Serve as a side, or over pasta. Yum.