Roasted Beets with Grapefruit & Rosemary
1 bunch of medium beets, scrubbed & tops removed
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
2 medium shallots, thinly sliced into rings
⅓ cup red wine vinegar
⅓ cup rosemary leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss beets with ¼ cup oil in a baking dish; season with salt. Pour in water to barely cover bottom of pan. Cover tightly with foil (you want steam to build up in there) and roast beets until a paring knife slips easily through flesh,
- Let beets cool, then rub off skins with paper towels. Cut beets into irregular pieces (about 2″) and transfer to a medium bowl.,
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove two 2″-long strips of zest from grapefruit (try not to get any of the white pith) and thinly slice zest lengthwise into strips; set aside for serving.
- Cut grapefruit in half and squeeze juice over beets. Add shallots and vinegar, season generously with salt, and toss to coat. Let sit 15 minutes to allow shallots to soften slightly.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a small skillet over medium. Add rosemary and cook, stirring often, until sizzling subsides, about 15 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels and let drain; season with salt.
- Arrange beets on a platter; drizzle with more oil and top with fried rosemary and reserved grapefruit zest.
- Do Ahead: Beets can be roasted 2 days ahead. Remove skins; cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before cutting. Rosemary can be fried 3 hours ahead. Let sit at room temperature
Note: This recipe is a little more involved but well worth the
Pole Beans with Swiss Chard Stems and Basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bag fresh pole beans, trimmed
- 1 cup thinly sliced Swiss chard stems (from about 1 large bunch)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of swiss chard leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Heat 1 cup of water in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pole beans and Swiss chard stems, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing often, until water is disolved
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, and swiss chard leaves and saute until crisp-tender
- Transfer pole bean mixture to a large bowl and toss with green beans, basil, vinegar, and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired.
Tomato, Onion & Grapefruit Relish
- 1/2 cup Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.