Braised Vidalia Onions
1 bunch of sweet baby Vidalia onions
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse ground black pepper
3 dried bay leaves
1 cup chicken stock
4 garlic gloves smashed with a knife
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking pan with a large piece of aluminum foil. Large enough that you can enclose all ingredients and seal the foil afterwards.
- Peel one outer layer off of each onion bulb and then quarter the onions leaving the green tops attached.
- Add the onions to the pan and spread them out evenly so they are not on top of each other.
- Add the olive oil and season the onions with salt and pepper
- Add the remaining ingredients and create a bath like atmosphere for the onions with the chicken stock.
- Pinch the foil tightly creating a sealed atmosphere for the onions to braise in.
- Bake for 45 minutes and then remove foil and serve the onions as a side dish.
Note: This recipe comes from the time I once had the privilege of meeting and cooking for Chef Jamie Oliver. This is one of the dishes he shared with our team and has been a staple ever since.
Perfectly Roasted Parsnips
- 3 parsnips trimmed peeled and cut into rounds or sticks that are 1/3 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Add parsnips, olive oil, dried oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, marjoram and crushed red pepper to a large Ziploc zipper bag. Shake to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a parchment covered baking sheet. Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown; flipping halfway. Serve promptly.
Roasted Green Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 3 medium green tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded, cut into wide slivers
- 1 onion peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- a sprinkling of organic sugar
- 2 avocados
- juice from half lime
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Spread in a single layer on a baking tray lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until vegetables are softened. Cool. Chop vegetables into small pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Smash avocados, lime juice, salt in a mortar. Add to roasted vegetables, along with cumin and cilantro. Mix well.