Grilled Sweet Corn & Eggplant Salad
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 teaspoon berbere or harissa spice blend
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch-thick planks
- 3 ears sweet corn, husked
- Prepare a grill for medium heat cooking. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and berbere.
- Brush eggplants and corn generously with mixture. Set remaining mixture aside.
- Grill eggplants and corn, flipping eggplants and turning corn occasionally, until both are nicely browned and softened, about 8 minutes total. Let cool.
- Remove kernels from corn by standing each cob up on a cutting board and slicing down the cob with a sharp knife.
- Transfer kernels to a large bowl. Cut eggplant into bite-size pieces and add to the bowl. Add reserved oil mixture and toss gently.
- Serve immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Zucchini & Grape Tomato Saute
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 pound zucchini (2-3 medium), cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil, plus more for garnish if desired
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the red onions and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and pale purple in color, 7-8 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, or until the zucchini are cooked but still crisp and the tomatoes have started to collapse, creating a little sauce.
- Stir in the fresh basil, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with more fresh basil if desired.
Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
- 1 portion mixed purple & yellow potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash potatoes and boil on high for 12-15 minutes or just until slightly tender. Drain and cool slightly. Preheat oven to 450˚F
Smash to ½” thickness using the heel of your hand or a glass. (You can store smashed potatoes covered in the fridge for up to 2 days… and continue with the recipe prior to serving).
Line a pan with foil. Very generously brush each potato with olive oil. Slightly crush the rosemary. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper.
Roast potatoes in the oven 30-40 minutes, flipping after 20 minutes or until browned and crispy.
Serve with toppings as desired. Goes great with sour cream, chives, cheese or bacon bits