All American Watermelon Punch
- 1 cubed watermelon (3 lb.)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from 4 limes)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (from 1 [4-in.] piece ginger)
- 1 cup pineapple juice, chilled
- 1 (12-oz.) can club soda, chilled
- 2 cups (16 oz.) vodka, rum, or tequila (optional)
- Process half of the watermelon in a blender until smooth, about 45 seconds. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher; discard solids. Repeat process with remaining watermelon.
- Whisk together sugar, lime juice, and ginger in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Add mixture to strained watermelon in pitcher; stir in chilled pineapple juice. Chill mixture at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Fill 8 highball glasses halfway with ice. Stir club soda and alcohol, if using, into watermelon mixture. Pour evenly into glasses.
Fire Cracker Spicy Salsa
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 10 green onions
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded (throw in another pepper from the mix if you are brave enough)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the tomatoes, green onions, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro to desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl, and mix in the lime juice, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
Baby Eggplant and Crispy Kale with Yogurt
1 bag baby eggplants (about 1 pounds total), quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon ground cumin
6 green kale leaves, ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely torn
1 medium cucumber
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, finely grated
2 cups tomatoes, diced
Olive oil (for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 450°. Toss eggplants with vegetable oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt. Roast, tossing halfway through, until eggplants are charred in spots and tender, 20–25 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with mango powder (if using) and cumin, and toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, heat a dry large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high. Add kale, arranging to fit in a single even layer (work in batches if needed), and cook, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Grate cucumber on the medium holes of a box grater; squeeze out excess liquid with your hands and transfer to a medium bowl. Mix in yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic; season with salt.
- Toss tomatoes with a good pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil in a medium bowl. Spoon yogurt mixture onto a platter and layer eggplants, kale, and tomatoes on top. Drizzle with more olive oil.