Indian Chicken Moringa
- 1lb chicken drumsticks
- 2 large onion sliced
- 1 tomato pureed
- 1.5 cups moringa leaves
- few curry leaves
- 1 tsp garlic or garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in a pan and mustard seeds and curry leaves to it. Once they start spluttering, add sliced onions and saute till they are golden brown.
Add dry spices to it and saute further for 2 minutes. Add the tomato pure and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- At this point add, chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes or so. Add chopped drumstick leaves, mix well. Cover and cook till the chicken is tender.
- Serve with white rice
Turmeric Corn Summer Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 red onion
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ears fresh corn, shucked, husks reserved
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon fresh turmeric peeled and grated
- 2 cups either water or vegetable broth
- 1 pinch saffron, plus more for platting
- 1 pinch fresh moringa leaves, for platting
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat, with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add red onion, ginger, and carrots. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. The onions and carrots should begin to soften, but not brown.
- Remove corn kernels from their husks and cobs, then add both kernels and husks into the pot. Add sliced summer squash, then salt, black pepper to taste, and turmeric. Stir.
- Add 2 cups water, or vegetable broth, into pot with vegetables. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes..
- Discard corn husks. Let soup cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer components into a blender, and puree until smooth, Transfer back into pot.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Add a pinch of saffron and stir.
- To serve, scoop about a cup of soup into a bowl. Add a couple saffron threads, a couple moringa leaves and a couple cracks of fresh ground pepper. I also like to eat this with a slice or two of avocado and a scoop of brown rice. (It tastes awesome cold, too!)
Lemon Roasted Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound russet potatoes cut into 1 inch chucks
- 1 container Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon local honey
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes and Brussels sprouts in a greased baking pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, garlic, mustard, honey and remaining oil and salt until blended. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl; drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat. Serve warm.