Baked Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes & Parmesan
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes ,
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated Parmigiana Reggiano
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- fresh Cracked Black Pepper , to taste
Preheat Oven to 375°F. Oil a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and connecting strands, then place cut side down on the prepared sheet pan.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the squash flesh becomes tender and separates easily into strands with a fork. Finish by gently loosening and removing the “spaghetti strands” from the shells. Set aside.
Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then add onion and garlic.Cook until soft, stirring every 30 seconds, then add tomatoes. Cook tomatoes until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
Add spaghetti squash strands and salt to the tomato mixture and continue cooking until the spaghetti squash is heated through (usually less than a minute.)
Remove pan from heat. Gently fold in Parmigiana Reggiano cheese and fresh basil. Season with additional sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste (optional) Serve immediately.
Pan Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Fennel
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 fennel bulbs, halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch wedges, some of the feathery tops finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, toss the sweet potato chunks and fennel wedges with the olive oil, brown sugar and mace; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetables in a large nonstick roasting pan. Roast for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes and fennel are tender and caramelized. Transfer them to a platter, sprinkle with the fennel tops and serve.
Grilled Green Tomatoes
- 2 green tomatoes , approximately
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil , such as grape seed oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire or fish sauce, soy sauce (Use Tamari for gluten free)
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat grill and slice green tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
- In medium bowl, combine oil, garlic, brown sugar, Worcestershire (or fish sauce, soy sauce, Tamari), salt and black pepper
- Add green tomatoes slices to bowl and evenly coat all the slices with the marinade.
- Grill each side of the tomato until your desired texture (about 2-4 minutes on each side). How thick you slice your tomato will determine how long it cooks.
- Top with fresh parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
- Serve as a side dish, on burgers or chopped in a salad